Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I recently went to Anderson's, an Amish store we have here in Lynchburg, where I picked up a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent. I've been making my own laundry detergent for a while and really enjoy saving money that way, so I thought I'd give this a try. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and it seems to do a great job cleaning our dishes! I already had the Washing Soda and Borax because I use them when I make laundry detergent. And I already had salt, of course. I did not know what Citric Acid was or where to find it. It's used for canning tomatoes and I got it at Anderson's. I couldn't find it at the Kroger near my house, but it's also a small Kroger. I'm not near smart enough to figure out how much it costs per load, but I'm pretty sure it's saving us money :) Maybe I should get my mom, who's a math teacher, to figure it out for me! Here's the recipe: 1 cup Washing Soda 1 cup Borax 1/2 cup Salt 1/2 cup Citric Acid Mix together and store tightly covered in a glass jar. Use one tablespoon per load. If you live in the area and have never been to Anderson's, I highly recommend making at least one visit. They have great prices on locally made things (honey, produce, etc.) and bulk items.

3 comments:

  1. We'll figure it out next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read something about making your own dish washer soap before but they said you have to rinse the dishes really well before you wash. Is that true with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. cassy, i have to rinse my dishes really well anyway because our dishwasher does not do a good job of getting the crusty stuff off. i have not tried not rinsing them well with this detergent.

    ReplyDelete