Thursday, December 16, 2010

A "made" Christmas gift

My friend Bekah came up with the idea of some of us girls from college, who are spread across the country, to do a "made" gift exchange. I immediately thought, "fun...but JUNK!!" For those of you that know me, know that I am ver craft challenged! I went straight to the internet looking for something to make for Casey. I found this website that explained how to make a Williams Sonoma knock-off glass hurricane candle thing using items from the Dollar Store. I used super glue instead of hot glue; tried the hot glue and it didn't really work.

I got the hurricane vase and candle from the Dollar Store ($1 each). They didn't have the base, so Jen picked some a different type of base at Walmart for $2. My wonderful sis-in-law gave me some holly from their tree ($FREE!!). So each candle costs $4 to make ($8 for the set). I had to go ahead and make some for me as well! :)

Here's the finished result!! I was pretty thrilled about how well they turned out! And I plan on changing out the holly with different things for each season (like brown leaves in the Fall - like the Williams Sonoma ones).

(I guess I need to make sure the candles are straight!! hahaha)

1 comment: