Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cloth Diapers

After much convincing from my friend, I've decided to give cloth diapers a try. I didn't want to invest a ton of money into it in case I decide not to do it. My friend, Cassy, told me she would buy the items from me if I decided not to do it.

I got one Thirsty diaper cover. This kind has snaps to make the diaper bigger or smaller, so it grows with your baby. It is for 18-40 pounds. I figured that would be the cheapest way to go because I won't have to keep buying new diapers as Jack grows. The cover was $12.75


I already have some prefolds that I've been using as burp cloths. But because cloth diapers have to be washed in special laundry detergent, I had to wash them in Dawn dish detergent to strip them clean before using them as cloth diapers. Have no fear, if I decide not to continue using cloth diapers, I will NOT reuse these as burp cloths!!



This last thing is what really conviced me to give this whole cloth diaper thing a try. I do not want to deal with cleaning up poop. These flushable diaper liners catch the poop and you can just toss the liner in the toilet instead of trying to rinse the poop off. It was $8 for 100 of the flushable liners.

If I decide to go continue with cloth diapering, I will probably buy some better liners instead of using the prefolds. But for this trial period, they're pretty cheap. The only reasing I've even considering this is because it will save us a plethora of money in the long run. Obviously I'll need to buy more covers if I'm gonna keep doing this. But just to try it out has cost me about $20 (because I already had the prefolds). I'll write a post later on how all this turns out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment